Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Day Negative One

It is the night before I start working for the mouse. Boy am I excited. This has been my dream forever. I do fear that this first year may be pretty tough. I've heard it's all about who you get as a manager, so cross your fingers for me.

Tomorrow I attend what they call Disney Traditions. They teach about the Disney Company and the resort and throw in some Disney trivia (here's hoping there's some good prizes). Everyone from a janitor to assistant VP has to take this class, so it'll be interesting to see who's in mine (odds are better for the janitor). From what I hear I'll get my ID tomorrow which allows me into the parks. So depending on how the day goes I may be treating myself to a parade and fireworks to start out this amazing experience.

Just thought I'd tell you as I'm typing this I can hear the whistle from the WDW (Walt Disney World) railroad trains.

My house is wonderful! It is large and has plenty of room for all my things. My roommate let me put the elliptical in the dining room so I've got some floor space in my room. I had to go out and buy a shelving unit for the tv and books and a makeshift dresser of sorts. But there's plenty of space between the closet, bathroom, linen closet, pantry, and kitchen. I bought myself a new bed. It was more than I wanted to spend, but it's a really nice bed and I'm happy with it.

I got lost, I mean really lost my first days here. Even mom couldn't get me out. We had to stop and buy an atlas. We were headed to a linens n things and I got directions online. But what we hadn't counted on was that the roads are laid out much worse here than St. Paul. The street names change constantly it'll be a different name on either side of the street, and when you cross into another city another name still. Of course none of those name changes are marked plainly. The only good thing about that adventure was that I got to see downtown Windermere (the city I live in). This city reminds me of Edina in the sheer amount of money oozing out of the houses and the plants and everything around. Of course we also passed through some of the not so great parts of Orlando, including a prison, and all were very close to each other.

Well I must go now it's about time for the fireworks to start. Did I mention I can watch them out my window? Yep, it'll be a nice sendoff into dreamland. Wish me luck on my first day.

Trivia Question of the Day: What was so special about the Oscar Walt Disney won for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? Who presented the award?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think there was a full size statue and seven smaller ones. I don't remember but I think it was presented by Shirly Temple probably in the late 1930's.