Wednesday, June 27, 2007

MK Envy

Today was kind of a low key day. I started at 8:30, which I thought meant I was going to go to our morning meeting. Nope, I got area cleaning. Which meant I had to walk around with a picker and a bucket and pick up garbage. Not exactly fun. But I did get to see the bunnies, who are very used to people so they let you get pretty close. Then I finally got a ride through! Yeah, I always wanted to get that task. After I did that for 15 minutes, I picked up the 2nd wheelchair assistance position. It was really early to pick it up, especially since there were so few guests let alone wheelchairs. But, I got to talk to TJ for a while. TJ used to work at the Seas and is now on the Epcot Dream Squad. So I was talking to him about that. I am so jealous!!!

The coordinator came over and asked if anyone wanted ER (Early Release). I obviously didn't, I've been trying to pick up more hours. Because we were overstaffed. I went to Kidcot for a short time, and then we had two people who were on modified duty who came to help out, so they dropped me and had me go over to Turtle Talk. I did all the positions outside, but didn't get to go in. I only got one show in all day. But I've never laughed harder than I did. We had a little boy that Crush asked if he had a question and this is what the boy said, "My question is, you said you were a hundred and fifty. But the thing is the oldest turtle on record was a hundred and fifty. And he's dead." My mouth just dropped, there was a gasp in the audience. And Crush gave the best face, swam over to the hydrophone and said, "Security. Yeah, is this thing on. We've got one of those kids." It was great.

It was only a six hour day and I got 45 minutes worth of tasking which made it go by pretty quick. I went over to MK (Magic Kingdom) costuming on my way home. I had picked up the fireworks shifts and so I needed to get the costumes. They were so nice in there. It was set up so much nicer and neater than ours at Epcot. They had signs in every aisle that said what was in the aisle as well as a mannequin on the end that showed exactly how the costume should look. I had an older gentleman point out where mine were and he chatted with me for a while about his career and Epcot. He was very nice. The Fantasyland costume is super comfy. It's breathable fabric, unlike the stuff we wear at the seas, and it's soft. I took a short nap when I got home and then got ready.

I was really nervous to go over for the shift because I didn't really know what was going on. When I got there, I made my way to the deployment base like my instructions had told me. There was a lady who helped me out. Apparently they don't meet in the deployment base like they tell you, I don't know why they don't change it on the sheet. But they told me where to wait and who I was waiting for. The coordinator was really nice and helpful. They had lanyards you wore that listed all the duties of your position which was really helpful. I also got the radio which saved my butt a couple of times. The people seemed really nice and were very welcoming.

I got the position in front of the castle on one of the ramps. All I had to do was rope off the ramp and prevent anyone from going up. Seems easy right. Big white rope, the Disney sign for do not enter here, surely the guests will know that and obey. Of course not, they all tried to jump the rope, walk under, some even wanted to hop the fence and cut through the grass. There is apparently a whole different breed of people who come to Disney in the summer. They are rude and have short tempers and think they can get away with anything. I had quite a few guests come up and yell at me because they couldn't get through the crowd like I'm going to wave my hands and the crowd will magically part like the red sea just for them. What did you expect with 10 minutes until the parade, you should know better. I don't know what they wanted me to do. I even had one guy who was standing at the base of the castle try to pass his child up over the railing onto the ramp. I asked him to get down and the guy freaked out. "Well he has to 'tete' are you going to come down here and get us through the crowd then so he can 'tete?'" Then he just sat back down, so I doubt he really had to go.

I did have a really nice family who kept saying what a hard job I had. They chatted with me and ended up staying the whole night. The mom was really helpful, she would stop people from jumping the rope and let me know when someone climbed on a trash can. They were such pleasant people. Although she was very technically minded and so she wanted to know all the "secrets". She asked me things like how many Cinderellas are there? What is that line coming out of the castle. I was so excited to hear that last question because I finally got to use my favorite response ever: "It's a magical line of pixie dust so that Tinkerbell can find her way home in the dark." Then I just got to watch the fireworks. That was pretty much all there was. I really enjoyed it, it was a lot of fun, I can't wait to do it again.

I also have to say that the people at MK are so much nicer. At Epcot nobody, I mean nobody will smile back at me. It's really frusterating, plus a lot of the people are just downright rude. And I don't think they have chilvary in any of the other Epcot countries because the boys are jerks cutting in front of you in line. At MK everyone smiled at me and some even said hi. It was such a change of pace and I loved it. I talked with some of the girls about what they do, they usually run the attractions in Fantasyland, so we were discussing the differences between our rides. It was fun, I enjoyed myself.

Answer to Yesterdays Trivia: How many Mickey Bars are sold at WDW each year?
3 million

Today's Trivia Question: How many happy haunts reside at the Haunted Mansion?

No comments: