Friday, June 8, 2007

Discovery Day

So today was my first official day on the job. I worked for 14 hours. Which was not supposed to happen. When I finised my training our unfriendly, somewhat rude organizers handed us packets and told us to be there for "Discovery Day" the next morning at 8am. Well my schedule had said my discovery day wasn't until next Thursday. But I wasn't about to miss an important class, so I showed up at 7:30 the next morning and explained my situation to the instructor who just added my name to the roster. Ok, I guess that works, I don't mind long days, I just didn't think Disney would want to pay me that much for training, but oh well.

So the Discovery Day is all about learning about your park, Epcot in my case. They took us around all the onstage areas and gave us a mini tour, we sampled cokes at club cool and I got to taste Beverly. It is the coke product of italy which is the most bitter thing you have ever tasted and takes a while to get it out of your mouth. Then it was fun to get other people to try it and watch the look on their faces. I enjoyed the tour and I chatted with the instructors about their positions and how they got there. The only problem is that I'm training with a lot of people from the college program. Now some of these people are great, but not the ones in my group. It felt like high school, at least that's the way they behaved, it got old very quickly. Then we toured the backstage areas, like how to get around and where the cafeteria is, the learning center (more on that later), the International center, costuming, lockers, break rooms. All the important things.

There was one very cool moment that I can't tell you about because I'm swarn to secrecy, but we were given a very special welcome as new cast members and it gave my goosebumps.

We finished the class and I had about an hour before my trainer was going to pick me up, so I went to the break room and had my lunch, which I stretched as long as I could, but it still only took me a half an hour. So I decided to visit the learning center. The most amazing place. It's like a mini library, only it's full of Disney stuff, the whole reference section is like every Disney related book ever written, I saw it and had a little heart attack I was so excited. All the books I've wanted to read, but couldn't afford, right there at my fingertips. They also have regular books on subjects. And then they have a media library with all kinds of Disney movies and cds that you can check out. It was so great! They also offer classes. Ones in powerpoint, resumes, networking, but also the history of the company, Walt's milestones, and the best are walkthroughs of rides where they take you behind the magic and show you how it's done. Behind the scenes at the different parks. I can't believe all these things that exist, and I wanted to work here without any of these perks. It's even better than I thought.

I still have another 8 hours or so of my day to tell you about, but it's 11:30 and I have to be at work bright and early at 7:30, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. But then I get off around 4. However, it may be hard to not go into a park. I know I should wait until my day off, but it's so tempting, I mean, it's free and it's right there. We shall see how tired I am tomorrow.

Answer to "Yesterday's" trivia question. What was so special about the Oscar Walt received for Snow White? Who presented it?
Walt receieved one regular sized oscar, and 7 minature (dwarf) oscars. It was presented by Shirley Temple.

Today's Trivia: What restaurant holds the title for busiest in the United States, and second busiest in the world? Hint: It's on the Walt Disney World property.

No comments: