Saturday, June 9, 2007

The Seas

So I met my trainer in the breakroom and found that I was also training with Gabby who is part of the International College Program. She's from Costa Rica and will be with us until January. My trainer is Travis, he's a lot of fun. He was part of the opening team for the ride, it's only a few months old, so he knows the ride inside and out like nobody's business. We went and got our costumes, not the most attractive, but not as bad as most. I'll get a picture the next time I go to work so you can see, because it's not exactly easy to describe. I found out that Disney sizing sucks, you have to go up 2 pants sizes because everything runs small. So I'll be checking out my 5 at a time, so I don't have to look at it every day. All our costume pieces are barcoded so when we take them out they scan everything: shirts, pants, belts, hats, ponchos, jackets, pins, everything. Then when you return them you scan them back in, just like at the library and then they all go to laundry. Nice not to have to launder my own.

So then we headed over to The Seas with Nemo and Friends. It's a slow moving omnimover (the cars don't stop moving) where you ride clamobiles under the sea to go explore the ocean. But along the way Nemo gets 'lost' again and it's up to the cast of characters to find him. It's more enjoyable for children than adults, but it has it's cool moments. When we got to the building Travis took us on a tour of the queue explaining along the way some of the cool signage or why they did things. He also pointed out some hidden mickeys. Then we rode the ride where Travis explained everything as we went through. We then started to go through each individual position and what the duties were then he let us go for it, nights are pretty slow for us so it was a managable way to jump in. I really enjoyed it, each position has about enough guest interaction for a smile and a hi, and everything has a small part of the responsibility associated with it, so you have a lot of help and other cast members not far behind.

When we went through the closing procedures we got to be the last people to ride for the night and then we performed the walkthrough, where they turn on all the work lights and you walk through the ride to make sure there's no problems. It was very cool, I'm always interested in how they create the magic, so it was a lot of fun. Travis also bestowed some secrets of the ride that very few know. You will not be among them, sorry, we have to preserve the magic for everyone else.

No comments: